God’s Big Picture: A Bible overview by Vaughan Roberts. Published by Inter-Varsity Press, London, UK. First published in 2009. ISBN 9781844743704 (paperback); ISBN 9781844747153 (eBook); ISBN 9781783596140 (DVD video); ISBN 9781783597840 (audiobook). 176 pages.
In this book, Vaughan Roberts paints the big picture of the Bible, and he does so clearly and simply. He takes us through the Bible using the theme of the Kingdom of God – defined as ‘God’s people in God’s place under God’s rule and blessing’.
Using this theme, Vaughan provides a simple and memorable framework for the Bible story:
(1) The pattern of the kingdom (Creation and the Garden of Eden)
(2) The perished kingdom (the fall)
(3) The promised kingdom (God’s covenant with Abraham)
(4) The partial kingdom (the period of the patriarchs to the Exile)
(5) The prophesied kingdom (the Old Testament prophets and the return from Exile)
(6) The present kingdom (Jesus life, death, resurrection and ascension)
(7) The proclaimed kingdom (the Acts of the Apostles through the whole Church age)
(8) The perfected kingdom (the Book of Revelation and the new heaven and earth).
‘God’s Big Picture’ is very suitable for newer believers and also young people. But more mature believers will doubtless find Vaughan’s deft and simple handling of the Bible story helpful, too.
Bible passages for reading and questions for discussion accompany each of the eight chapters. This makes ‘God’s Big Picture’ ideal for small group discussion. And the fact that it covers the entire Bible in just eight lessons makes it tailor-made for new believers’ discipleship groups. It would be ideal as a follow-up to an Alpha Course or a Christianity Explored course.
View the publisher’s description page HERE.
As well as this book, there is an excellent free video series called God’s Big Picture. This video series, with its accompanying printed material, is available HERE.
Vaughan Roberts is Rector of St Ebbe’s Church, Oxford, England. He is also the Director of the Proclamation Trust, an organisation that encourages and equips Bible teachers.